Monday, July 23, 2012

Coat Rack

A girl I knew in high school lived in Italy for a while. On her blog she posted about finding a house to rent and that this coat rack may have been a selling point. Beautiful, huh?


I was sold. I wanted to make one just like her coat rack.  As I've said, I love organization. The coat racks from Wal-Mart and like stores are dinky and unattractive. This is much, much better. Even though mine wasn't what I originally wanted, I love how it turned out and love that it's big enough to accommodated a lot of guests' stuff.

During the warm seasons it usually has hats and bags, but during the cold months it collects all of our coats and all of our guests' coats. My. Goodness. This was one of the easiest and best projects I have ever done. Sorry that I don't have step by step pictures but I did this a long time ago.

So, I searched Craigslist and the Goodwill in town for months trying to find a good deal on a headboard. This one came up on Craigslist for $40. Can you say awesome! I definitely did several times when I first got it. I squealed lots too.

So, then I had to find fabric. Joann's was closing one of their locations in our town and so I waited until the last week when basically everything was 70% off and bought my fabric. I originally wanted fabric more like the fabric the picture my high school mate posted on her blog but this is what I ended up with and I love it. Also, I bought batting at 70% off to go between the fabric and the wood.

Then we bought the hooks from Wal-mart. I bought my fabric first so that I could match the style and color of my hooks to my fabric. It was around $16 for 8 hooks.

So, then I used newspaper as my pattern. I laid it down inside of the molding and cut out the square or rectangle. Then I put the newspaper on the fabric and cut it with a 1/2 inch allowance. I cut the batting from the pattern with no allowance. I put the fabric face down and put the batting on the wrong side of the fabric.

I then used Gorilla Glue to adhere the batting to the fabric. I only put the glue on the edges of the batting and folded over the fabric to cover the batting. This was kind of like wrapping a gift with wrapping paper but not having enough wrapping paper to cover the bottom side.

Then I measured out and marked where I wanted my hooks and then drilled holes in those places. Then I screwed in the hooks.

We hung it on the wall with some heavy duty screw and Voila! We have the most fabulous coat rack ever. The total cost was around $80. I say that's a steal. And if you make one smaller than mine it would be less expensive.


Also, you can see that there is something on top of the coat rack/headboard. Those are my keys. I'm one of those people who always loses my keys and phone. Now that I have my fabulous headboard, I just put my keys and phone on the top ledge and they almost never get lost now.







No comments:

Post a Comment