Tuesday, July 10, 2012

Freezing things

I do freezer meals. I love them. It means I can buy bulk and then freeze it into several different meals. I don't have to cook every single day. All of this equals me less stressed, husband less stressed, kids paid more attention to  - because I can just put the meal straight into the oven and spend the used to be cooking time playing with them - and healthier eating.  Also, half the reason I started this blog is to share with friends and family who have requested freezer meal recipes and tips. So, this topic will come up frequently.
I freeze lots of things. But I NEVER freeze in bulk. Freezing in bulk means that you spend more time thawing and making and refreezing. And that is too much effort for me. So, I make things into meal sizes for family, meal sizes for family and company, and usable sizes.

For example, I freeze heavy cream.


I originally got the idea here. Who ever uses the whole jug of cream? I never do. But I don't freeze it in the jug. I freeze it in ice cube trays. I measure out 1 Tablespoon and put it in one portion of the tray and do this for the whole tray. Sometimes I do a tray with 1 teaspoon portions as well.


Then I freeze it. Then I "crack" the ice cube trays and the cubes of heavy cream come right out.



Then I put it in the freezer bag and write the date. I also write this on the freezer bag: 1 cup = 16 Tablespoon and 1 Tablespoon = 1 teaspoon. It helps when I pull it out to cook with.

 Sometimes I do this with buttermilk as well.


Awesome, huh?












2 comments:

  1. Definitely awesome. Thank you for sharing this trick! Visiting via pinterest.

    ReplyDelete