Tuesday, August 28, 2012

Scripture Power

So sorry I've been M.I.A. for a little while. My husband had a business conference in Atlanta and I got to go with him!!! It was so fabulous to be able to go running whenever I wanted and shower for how long I wanted. We had the most amazing real Southern food at this restaurant of which I can't remember the name, All I'll say is Pot likker is soooooo good! Anyway, directly after that my husband's side of the family had a family reunion. It was so much fun to have our kids play with their only cousin. They all loved each other and my son keeps asking for his cousin.

We're all busy right? I'm a member of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints and I like to study the scriptures everyday. Some days this seems impossible because I have so much else to do. I might be able to read a verse but not study it and become closer to God. That was how I used to feel. Now, I feel differently.

Per my mother's suggestion, I got scripture mastery cards and put them in a jar on my kitchen counter. On days when I haven't been able to study scripture by 9AM, I pull a scripture mastery card out of my jar and work on memorizing it and pondering it all day long. This might sound intimidating but it really is so easy! I just leave the little card in my pocket and pull it out when I remember it/when I'm going to the bathroom and the kids are banging on the door. It helps me focus on Christ all day long. Not just for 10 minutes in the morning while reading the scriptures.


I have two jars: the white has my unmemorized scripture mastery cards in it and the black has the ones that I've already memorized. Every once in a while I pull the already memorized ones out and review them. I feel so fulfilled and proud of myself when at the end of the day I've memorized a new scripture. It helps me so much



Richard G. Scott, an apostle to the Lord serving in the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints, said:
"Scriptures are like packets of light that illuminate our minds and give place to guidance and inspiration from on high. They can become the key to open the channel to communion with our Father in Heaven and His Beloved Son, Jesus Christ.

The scriptures provide the strength of authority to our declarations when they are cited correctly. They can become stalwart friends that are not limited by geography or calendar. They are always available when needed. Their use provides a foundation of truth that can be awakened by the Holy Ghost. Learning, pondering, searching, and memorizing scriptures is like filling a filing cabinet with friends, values, and truths that can be called upon anytime, anywhere in the world.

Great power can come from memorizing scriptures. To memorize a scripture is to forge a new friendship. It is like discovering a new individual who can help in time of need, give inspiration and comfort, and be a source of motivation for needed change."

My favorite part is when he says, "To memorize a scripture is to forge a new friendship. It is like discovering a new individual who can help in time of need, give inspiration and comfort, and be a source of motivation for needed change." I have experienced this. There have been numerous times when I'm feeling down and I think of a scripture I've memorized and it helps me change my perspective and I'm able to remember to choose to be happy. There have even been times when I've been able to share a memorized scripture with someone I'm talking to and it helps them with a problem they're facing. I appreciate it and they appreciate that I am able to help them because I memorized scripture.

Seriously, this has been such a blessing and help in my life. I love how I'm able to actually study and ponder scriptures because of this idea. Now, if you live outside of Utah, finding scripture mastery cards can be hard. They have them on the LDS.org website but they're itsy-bitsy small  and that doesn't go great for reading them. I eventually ended up asking a seminary teacher if she had any extra and she was thrilled that I wanted to have them and gave them to me. Try it. It is sooo awesome!




1 comment:

  1. I know I've said this before...but I seriously love this blog! I love your ideas! Thanks for updating. :) This is a great thing to remember for when I have more children (and for when morning naps don't happen anymore, which is usually when I do scripture study). Thanks!

    ReplyDelete